When you turn on the tap, you likely expect clear, sparkling water. This is the product of water treatment, which filters out chemicals, harmful elements and bacteria. While it’s not always possible to tell by sight if water is contaminated, color can be a strong indicator that something isn’t quite right with your water. That’s why many treatment facilities use water treatment color removal, a process that keeps your water sparkling and fresh.
What Makes the Color?
There are two types of color in water: true color and apparent color. True color is produced by the presence of dissolved species, which have a color of their own. Their color is diluted and spread through the water, giving it a darker hue. Apparent color results from light scattered by particle matter. The human eye interprets this scattered light as color.
What Does the Color Indicate?
The two water types have different causes. True color can be a result of dissolved organics, such as plants, algae and bacteria. The particles that create apparent color may be humic or fulvic acid. In either case, these causes aren’t things you want to be drinking.
Water treatment color removal is an important step used by treatment facilities to make your water safe and sparkling. A tall, clear glass of water can be the result of a rigorous treatment process.